Global insurance firm sets bold carbon reduction targets and roadmaps for sites in Asia and Africa
In 2013, a UK-listed insurance firm with global operations needed help with greenhouse gas emissions compliance reporting. Over time, the relationship expanded to include energy audits and target-setting along with strategy development and implementation across its 5.7M s.f. real estate portfolio.
In 2019, the client moved most of its operations from Europe to Asia and Africa– a change which coincided with a shift in its environmental strategy and targets to align its remaining operations.
With data collected since 2013 through JLL’s Sustainability Reporting services, we helped the client understand the baseline performance of its operations. The next step was implementing the client’s Sustainable Operations program.
JLL conducted assessments at the client’s 20 most energy intensive sites in Asia to understand potential energy and water saving measures for their global property portfolio, which could reduce energy use by 20%. When the client’s 2020 targets expired, JLL helped to develop new targets and implement a Sustainable Operations program. Key activities included:
- Developing carbon reduction targets aligned to peers to work towards carbon neutral operational savings
- Migrating environmental performance data from 2016 onwards onto Canopy, JLL’s proprietary sustainability technology and analytics platform
- Enhancing the quality of Scope 3 emissions data
- Developing guidelines for leasing, design and construction and waste management
- Rolling out business unit level sustainability roadmaps
- Implementing a business-wide Green Champions network to drive initiatives and behavioral change
- Reviewing carbon offset providers to choose a suitable partner
- Delivering an internal conference to engage staff and launch the targets
Long term carbon reduction targets in place to lower operational impact and reach carbon neutrality by 2030
Canopy rollout in place across all business units to enhance reporting compliance
20% reduction in energy usage across the portfolio
All business units in Asia and Africa now have target delivery roadmaps